-
April 20th, 2005, 04:23 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hey! Is anyone out there? Nobody has said anyting for three days practically! Anyway, I'm thinking of writing my own manga over the summer for my friends. My only problem is, I don't think I have the right supplies to do it. Has anyone ever done this before? Do you know what to get? Of course, it'll be my first manga, so it won't be professional. I just want to learn the basics and practice. If anyone can help, that would be great! Also, what type of storyline does everyone like? (Besides Yaoi ^^) I know I want to do a romance, but do you like funny romance or angsty romance? ^^
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ April 22, 2005 02:30 PM: Message edited by: fscgirl ]</font>
-
April 23rd, 2005, 04:02 AM
#2
Inactive Member
I'd say the story kinds of goes with your type of drawings at first. If you're really good, then your type of drawings can go with the style of story you want. I'll explain: Kaori Yuki's style is, well, dark. So are her stories (Count Cain, Angel Sanctuary, K. Ludwig, Bloodhound). Beautifull, gracefull, and so very twisted and dark. Then take some sunny shoujo mangaka, like TANEMURA Arina (Full Moon wo sagashite, Kamikaze Kaito Jane, Time Stranger). Her style is more broad, simpler (less lines everywhere), bigger eyes for innocence, teary, flowery (the flow of flowers).
Style reflects personality reflects story. In general, anyway.
So I'd say, do the kind of stories you like most, because that is most probaly the style your art will reflect and you will feel a lot more confortable about it. Biggest problem with starting a manga is exactly that. Starting it, and keeping it. Mood swings? Oh yeah. So really, do what YOU like best, and then you'll be able to pass that passion to readers.
My take on it. For actual tutorials on how to do panels and such.. erm, I have them somewhere, I just havta remember where. oops.
-
April 24th, 2005, 02:07 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Well, I definately think my style is happy and funny. If anyone has any tutorials besides Yue (or if Yue can find them ^^) please let me know! ^^
-
April 25th, 2005, 02:57 PM
#4
Inactive Member
i'm no professional myself but i think you should look for someone to look up to. Like for me...Kaori Yuki, we have the same forte, i'm a Connoisseur of anything dark and gothic. just as long as the story has sense with reality.
My work in the past focused on fantasy and it was absolutely troubling. the story was pathetic. i criticize my own work besides my friends said so..it sucks. it wasnt until i saw Kaori yuki's 'Angel Sanctuary' for the first time. it really hooked me. that i realized what i really what to do is 'murder mystery' 'End of the World' etc. and since then i had been trying to follow and study her styles. but not totally, i just wonder where does she get all those ideas, it's so unique. Now i finished about 4 stories. and i'm starting a new one.
The hardest part is to start, one of my project took 3 months just to think of the idea and title. i didnt rush it because i though it must be worth it. and it is. so i guess being patient is another thing. just collect all the possible ideas and stuff. talk to your friends about your concept, you might get something from their opinions to improve your ideas.
Most of all you need paper, eraser, pencil and TIME. Lots and Lots of it. sometimes you'll get a 'block' w/c you cant think of any way for it to continue, you'll just have to be patient with it and dont give up on the story. that's a challenge, you know.
Hope that helps! [img]smile.gif[/img]
kinda curious myself. what's your story about?? i mean your idea...if you dont mind me asking...
-
April 25th, 2005, 05:51 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Thanks for the advice! I'd like to read your stories. I think my "idol" would be fuyumi soryo (I know I spelled that name wrong), the one who wrote Mars. But, I also love CLAMP, so its kind of hard to decide. (Whoever writes Sensie! is great too! ^^) I like the Mars storyline b/c its funny, but VERY dramatic, and it shows that teenagers really have to deal with tough issues. Its not as easy as adults think! ^^ My storyline.... I'm still working out the kinks, so it probably sucks. ^^ (Just bare with me.) Um... it starts out with a girl, (white, about sixteen) who has a troubled homelife. Her mother and father died, so she has to live with her alcoholic Uncle. (NOTE: This is not a depiction of my personal life, I totally made this up! ^^) She is very quiet at school and doesn't talk to anyone. Because she is so pretty, a lot of the girls are jealous of her, so they start to torment her. One day, the girls do something really bad to her (I haven't decided what yet) and she runs home. But when she gets home, her Uncle beats her for crying and making noise. She runs out of the apartment and goes to the roof and plans to jump off. She gets on the edge and is about to jump off, but she is not alone. A man (26, black, and very hot ^^) is also on the roof. He calls out to her to make her stop. The girl is shocked at first to see him and is "awed" (not sure if it is the right word for this situation) by his hottness. But, she slipps and almost falls off the roof. He manages to pull her up and he holds her in his arms. She cries hysterically of course, but then realizes what has just happened. She pushes him away and leaves the apartment completely. She begins to aimlessly walk the streets, cold and hungry. She finally returns to the apartment 2 days later and hears beautiful piano music comming from the roof. She goes to the roof again and sees that it is the same guy who saved her playing the piano. He is relieved to see her and was apparently looking for her for the past two days. She is amazed by his playing and begins to talk to him. She becomes very close to him and they begin to have an intimate relationship. They are looked down upon however because of the age and racial difference. That's all I have so far, but I still have to work out the kinks. (WARNING: if this idea does seem good to you people, don't you dare steal it or I will be PISSED, and you do not want to see me when I am PISSED! You have been warned) Anyway, if it sucks, tell me and give me some advice on how to make it better. Thanks! ^^
-
April 25th, 2005, 08:56 PM
#6
Inactive Member
sounds pretty cool [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I don't know - I thought many upon many of times about making a manga about the three of my friends and I running about in sort of a comdey series, 'cause we've all come to terms that we're insane. But every time i try to start, I look at my drawing skills and become very sad... So once again I retreat to my little writer's corner, where I rely upon making a good plot and authentic characters, instead of decent drawing skills. Still sad.
Oh, yeah, hello everyone!!
-
April 25th, 2005, 09:24 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Yeah, sometimes that happens with me too, but I think I'm getting better. I'm better at duplicating pictures rather than making them up in my head. But, practice makes perfect! If the art turns out crappy, but the story is good, I'll just keep practicing and when I get better at the drawing, I'll just redo it. But please give me opinions on whether my idea is good or not. I would apreciate it! ^^
Hey! I just looked at my profile and it says I'm a senior member! How cool is that!
<font color="#660033" size="1">[ April 25, 2005 06:27 PM: Message edited by: fscgirl ]</font>
-
April 25th, 2005, 09:44 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Isn't making stories fun? I love to make them up but never get to writing them down, or making a manga out of them. I haven't got the will power or the endurance to ever put one of my ideas on to paper and finish it. Call me lazy. So if you do decide to start your story, which I encourage, make sure to work hard and finish it.
I have so many ideas for stories. Usually I just think up an idea or change something I don't like about other stories. Like one time I thought of making a story of where two people switch bodies. You know how in those stories everyone tries to find a way to change back and then they do and then everyone is happy? Well I just thought, why not make a story where they aren't going to change back, and the kind of things they will have to deal with. It's just fun to think of the possibilities. I also took an idea from Angel Sanctuary where god may not be the "good guy". I wanted to make it where you never know which way is right. In the end you have to decide for yourself.
I also got the idea because I am the same way, I don't know what to believe in. I mean how do you ever know what is real. Reality is based on perspective it seems, not completely on facts. That's another thing I do. I take out questions, ideas, fantasies, wishes, ideals from my own life and find a way to make that into a story. I find them very interesting and that they pass the time when you are riding a while in a car, or just snoring away school time.
Anyway, that's my bit of rambling on the topic of stories. Sorry that it doesn't have much to do with your story. Your story has a nice idea to it, it just all depends on how you carry it out.
~ Good Luck!
-
April 27th, 2005, 05:31 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Thanks heartberry! I got my idea from seeing couples who go through difficult times because their relationships are viewed as "forbidden relationships" because society is so prejudice. I'm really sick of it (and I'm white!) I've experienced prejudice because of my religious denomination and I want to show people how destructive it can be. Of course, the idea might totally change depending upon the response I get from people on this board and my friends. I'm going to try to make it funny too, but I might not be able to. We'll just have to see! ^^
-
April 30th, 2005, 10:17 AM
#10
Inactive Member
sorry if i replied late. never thought that you would respond. hehehe.
well, you have a nice idea. but to be honest, the story is too cliche. i mean it's so typical nowadays, but, dont fret. you can rescue the story by making 'sudden twists of events'. i can't really give advice because it's not my field. hehehe. like i wrote before my forte is tragedy and death. well, maybe you can add something to the plot one that will make your heart cry. i'm an expert at that. hehehhe. well not really, i sometimes pity my charcters and i'm still perfecting it.
some stories only have 1 problem, i mean like 'Sensei' for example. the problem there is that the girl's a student and the guy's a teacher and age difference. maybe you can combine all relationship problems into your story and i mean ALL. but i would make the story long, right? so just pick out the worst ones. like for example. he discovers he has cancer etc. or the girl got amnesia etc. or she discovers why her parents died. or she found out who the guy really is. try to involve something about drugs and murder since your plot seems to set on America. no offense. it's difficlut to explain. but it would make it unique [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks